Lidded jar with design of butterflies
- Historical period(s)
- Qing dynasty, 19th century
- Stoneware with white slip, iron pigment under and over clear glaze.
- Cizhou-type ware
- H x W x D (overall): 17.5 x 13 x 18.1 cm (6 7/8 x 5 1/8 x 7 1/8 in)
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- Jar: four sided with bulging outlines; square mouth and base. Pottery cover.
Clay: hard, light-gray.
Glaze: deep cream-color; crackled and stained.
Decoration: butterflies in brown, one under and one, over glaze. Head and ring handles in relief.
Bunkio Matsuki (1867-1940), Boston, to 1896 
From 1896 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunkio Matsuki in 1896 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Former owner
- Bunkio Matsuki 松木文恭 (C.L. Freer source) (1867-1940)
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Collection(s) Area
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum