Curry, David Park. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. New York: W. W. Norton and Freer Gallery of Art, 1984.
Lawton, Thomas and Linda Merrill. Freer: A Legacy of Art. Washington, D.C.: Freer Gallery of Art in association with Harry N. Abrams, 1993.
Pyne, Kathleen. Art and the Higher Life: Painting and Evolutionary Thought in Late Nineteenth-Century America. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1996.
American Art Web Sites
Centre for Whistler Studies
Smithsonian American Art Museum
1. Charles Lang Freer to Samuel P. Langley, December 27, 1904, Charles Lang Freer Papers, Freer Gallery of Art Archives (Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution).
2. William C. Brownell, "The Younger Painters of America," Scribner's Monthly 20 (May 1880): 7.
3. James McNeill Whistler, "PropositionsNo.2," in Whistler on Art: Selected Letters and Writings of James McNeill Whistler, ed. Nigel Thorp, (Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1994): 78.
4. Agnes E. Meyer, Charles Lang Freer and His Gallery Washington D.C.: Freer Gallery of Art, 1970), 5.
5. Charles Lang Freer to John Gellatly, March 30, 1904, Charles Lang Freer Papers, Freer Gallery of Art Archives.