River Landscape with a Seated Figure in Foreground
Ink on silk
H x W: 28.9 x 28.8 cm (11 3/8 x 11 5/16 in)
landscape, farming, Yuan dynasty (1279 - 1368), river, China, Chinese Art
Gift of Charles Lang Freer
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
Yoshimitsu (1358-1408), Ashikaga Collection  To 1905 Bunkyo Matsuki (1867-1940), Boston, to 1905  From 1905 to 1919 Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunkyo Matsuki in 1905  From 1920 Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920  Notes:  According to Curatorial Remark 9, A. Yonemura, exhibition label text, "Luminous Shadows," 1982: "The seal, "Tenzan" in the lower right-hand corner of this Chinese landscape painting identifies it as having once been in the collection of the third Ashikaga shogun, Yoshimitsu (1358-1408). The prestigious collection of Chinese paintings and works of art belonging to the Ashikaga shoguns was begun in the mid-14th century...The Ashikaga Collection was not, however, a fixed entity. Additions were made as newly imported works became available, and paintings were occasionally transferred to vassals who shared the shoguns' interest in Chinese art. The Gyomotsu, the treasures from the Ashikaga collection, were dispersed upon the fall of the Ashikaga shoguns during the 16th century, but retained their prestige as they passed into the possession of later collectors, including tea ceremony devotees of the 17th century."  See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 504, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.  See note 2.  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Please note: The Freer Gallery of Art will be closed to the public from January 2016 until summer 2017. The Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Library, and Archives will remain open for the duration of the renovation. Learn more »