Buddhism, bodhisattva, carp, Qing dynasty (1644 - 1911), lotus, Guanyin, China, Chinese Art
Gift of Charles Lang Freer
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
Temple of Koya-san, Jizo  To 1904 Yamanaka & Company, to 1904  From 1904 to 1919 Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1904  From 1920 Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920  Notes:  According to Curatorial Remark 3, an undated folder sheet note, in the object record, which states, "'From Jizo --- in temple of Koya-san.' See List."  Original folder sheet note. Also see Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 355, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The majority of Charles Lang Freer’s purchases from Yamanaka & Company were made at its New York branch. Yamanaka & Company maintained branch offices, at various times, in Boston, Chicago, London, Peking, Shanghai, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto. During the summer, the company also maintained seasonal locations in Newport, Bar Harbor, and Atlantic City.  See note 2.  The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Please note: The Freer Gallery of Art will be closed to the public from January 2016 until summer 2017. The Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Library, and Archives will remain open for the duration of the renovation. Learn more »