Book of prayers
- Calligrapher: Sayyid-Ali al-Hamdi (Hafiz al-Qur'an)
- Historical period(s)
- Ottoman period, January 1715 (Muharram 1127 A.H.)
- Ink, color and gold on paper
- H x W: 23.5 x 41.1 cm (9 1/4 x 16 3/16 in)
- Credit Line
- Purchase — Smithsonian Unrestricted Trust Funds, Smithsonian Collections Acquisition Program, and Dr. Arthur M. Sackler
- Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Accession Number
- Manuscript; Book of prayers; Arabic in black naskh script, colophon in tawqi' script; illuminated headings in white; 197 folios with 6 double-page illumination (fols.173-178 recto and 172-177 verso),1 sarlawh (folio 1 verso), 1 unwan (folio 10 verso); colophon (folio 195 recto); standard page: 1 column, 7 lines.
Binding: The manuscript is bound in leather over paper pasteboards with a gilt medallion, cornerpieces, and doublures of leather decorated with gilt. The envelop flap has a border and surface identical to that on the upper and lower covers.
Folio 195 recto: Written by the poor slave Sayyid-Ali al- Hamdi, known as Hafiz al-Qur'an, in the beginning of the holy month of Muharram in the year [A.H.] one thousand hundred and twenty-seven [A.D. January 1715].
Sale, Hôtel Drouot, in 1899 
Henri Vever (1854-1942), Paris and Noyers, France, to 1942 
From 1942 to 1986
Family member, Paris and Boulogne, France, by inheritance from Henri Vever, Paris and Noyers, France 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, purchased from a family member, Paris and Boulogne, France 
 "Unidentified Hôtel Drouot sale catalogue, 1899, no. 3," see Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 7: Chart of Recent Provenance" in An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection, Glenn D. Lowry et al (Washington, D.C.: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 412.
 See Glenn D. Lowry et al., An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection (Washington, D.C.: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), pp. 27-28, no. 36.
 See the Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of the Henri Vever Collection of January 9, 1986, Collections Management Office.
 See note 3.
- Former owner
- Henri Vever (1854 - 1942)
Francois Mautin (French, born 1907)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Henri Vever collection, naskh script, Ottoman period (1307 - 1922), prayer, Turkey, WWII-era provenance
- Collection(s) Area
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum