Jar with incised and applied decoration
- Historical period(s)
- Ayutthaya period, 14th-15th century
- Unglazed stoneware
- Sukhothai or Phitsanulok ware
- H x W x D: 38.7 x 29.2 x 29.2 cm (15 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 11 1/2 in)
- Thailand, Sukhothai or Phitsanulok province, Sukhothai or Phitsanulok, Sukhothai kilns or Ban Tao Hai kilns
- Credit Line
- Purchase -- funds provided by Diana Sinkler Clagett, Ellen Walton, Karol K. Rodriguez, Donna L. Collins, and the Charles Lang Freer Endowment
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- Thin clay threads pressed onto this unglazed jar produced a style of relief decoration that also appears in other media in the Ayutthaya period, including bronze images of the crowned Buddha, metal vessels, and lacquered court hats. Whereas museums and collectors acknowledge the importance of unglazed stoneware in Japan, the strong tradition of unglazed stoneware in mainland Southeast Asia has been obscured by a focus on glazed and decorated export wares.
Excavated in situ Bananan, Barangay San Isidro, Puerto Galera municipality, Oriental Mindoro province, Philippines, in the early 1960s 
Mr. And Mrs. Napoleon Jamir, purchased in Manila in the early 1960s 
Mr. Arturo de Santos, purchased from Mrs. Napoleon Jamir, the Philippines, in the early 1960s 
To about 1995
Venecio Magbuhos (V.M. Antiques), Ermita, Manila, purchased from Mr. Arturo de Santos, to about 1995 
John Forbes (Galleon Trading Company), Silver Spring, MD, purchased from Venecio Magbuhos, about 1995 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from John Forbes in 1995
 According to a letter from John Forbes to Louise Cort, September 20, 1994 (see Curatorial Note 11 in the object record).
 Napoleon Jamir's wife, whose name is unknown, collected ceramics and operated an antique shop (see Curatorial Note 11 in the object record).
 According to Curatorial Note 11 in the object record.
 See note 3.
 See note 3.
- Former owner
- Mr. and Mrs. Napoleon Jamir
Arturo de Santos
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Collection(s) Area
- Southeast Asian Art
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum