Shri Raga from the Chawand Ragamala
- Album folio with painting
- Artist: Nasiruddin
- Historical period(s)
- Sisodia dynasty, Reign of Maharana Amar Singh, Dated 1605
- Mewar Court
- Rajput School
- Opaque watercolor on paper
- H x W (overall): 20.2 x 18.7 cm (7 15/16 x 7 3/8 in)
- India, Mewar, Rajasthan, Chawand
- Credit Line
- Purchase — Charles Lang Freer Endowment
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- One of the six chief musical modes, Shri Raga (shri means "honored" and raga is a musical mode) is personified in this painting as a prince seated on his throne listening to two musicians. Each raga is associated with a particular season, time of day, and emotion: here, it is winter in the late afternoon, and the emotion evoked is love.
This Ragamala set is among the earliest inscribed and dated Rajput works. It was painted at Chawand in Mewar. This small town lies south of Chittor Fort, which had been seized by imperial Mughal troops in 1568.
Doris Wiener Gallery, New York. 
From 1971 to 1991
Carter Burden, New York purchased from Doris Wiener Gallery, New York in 1971. 
Sale, New York, Sotheby’s, The Carter Burden Collection of Indian Paintings, March 27, 1991, lot no. 6: “A Page from the “Chawand” Ragamala. Sri Raga: a Lord Seated on a Throne Listening to Musicians”. 
Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. purchased at auction, “The Carter Burden Collection of Indian Paintings,” Sotheby’s, New York, March 27, 1991, lot no. 6, “A Page from the “Chawand” Ragamala. Sri Raga: a Lord Seated on a Throne Listening to Musicians” through Andrew Kahane, Ltd., Oriental Art. 
 See invoice from Doris Wiener Gallery, Inc., dated November 24, 1971 to Carter Burden, copy in object file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
 See Sotheby’s, New York auction catalogue, The Carter Burden Collection of Indian Paintings, from the sale of March 27, 1991.
 See Acquisition Consideration Form, object file, Collections Management Office. See also correspondences with Andrew Kahane, Ltd., Oriental Art in the object file, Collections Management Office.
- Former owner
- Doris Wiener, Inc.
Sotheby's (New York)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Collection(s) Area
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum