Winged Figure Seated Upon a Rock
- Oil painting
- Artist: Abbott Handerson Thayer (1849-1921)
- Historical period(s)
- Oil on canvas
- H x W: 213.5 x 153 cm (84 1/16 x 60 1/4 in)
- United States
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- Winged Figure Seated upon a Rock originated as one of the canvases related to the Stevenson Memorial of 1903, a tribute to one of Thayer's favorite authors, Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894). The copy was still in the artist's studio in 1914, when Thayer made it into a memorial to his late wife, using Gladys as the model and inscribing a Latin dedication that means "Mother of my daughter! To you this monument." Thayer added a second inscription in April 1916 stipulating that the painting never be retouched, "not one pin-point," a provision meant to make the monument inviolable.
When Freer offeref to buy this emotionally charged painting"my heart's legacy to the world," as Thayer called ithe must have asked that any remaining copies of the Stevenson Memorial be turned over to him, for another of the trial compositions seems to have made its way into his possession. Although the figure was probably copied by Thayer's student Rockwell Kent (1882-1971), Thayer himself appears to have painted the head, "the dominating central fact" of any of his figure paintings, according to Gladys Thayer. The facial expression, she said, "must sing as it were from corner to corner of the canvas."
Abbott Handerson Thayer (1849-1921), Dublin, NH, to 1915 
From 1915 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Abbott Handerson Thayer in October 1915 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Voucher 8, October 1915, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Former owner
- Abbott Handerson Thayer (C.L. Freer source) (1849-1921)
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Collection(s) Area
- American Art
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum