The Shahnama (Book of kings) by Firdausi (d. 1020)
- Historical period(s)
- early 17th century
- Ink, opaque watercolor and gold on paper
- H x W (overall): 38.1 x 21.2 cm (15 x 8 3/8 in)
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- Manuscript; Shahnama (Book of kings) by Firdawsi; Persian in black nasta'liq script; headings in white; 540 folios with illuminated double frontispiece (fols. 1 verso, 2 recto, and 2 verso, 3 recto), 2 sarlawh (fols. 3, 9 verso), 30 paintings, 1 dated colophon (folio 539 recto), and a finispiece (fols. 539 verso, 540 recto); seals (folio 1recto); inscription (folio 1 recto); standard page: 4 columns, 22 lines of text.
Binding: The manuscript is bound in red-brown leather over paper pasteboards with blind tooling and a border of geometric motifs. The doublures are of marbled paper with a James Caulfield Coat of Arms.
Folio 1 recto: uragh panjhezar va si va nuh [?] musavvar si va se, chand ruz be 'ariyat bamast.
"Number of pages five thousand and thirty-nine [?] paintings thirty-three, it is borrowed for a few days."
Shahnama-i musavvar pishkesh Mirza Shah Sahib Adilshah rozi ke Nawab Suleyman be manzel Amir Muhammad Mo'men rafte bodand nemudand. Betarikh dovum Shahr Shaval sene [1?17].
"Illustrated Shahnama, gift of Mirza Shah Sahib Adilshah, the day when Nawab Suleyman went to the house of Amir Muhammad Mo'men; 2, Shaval [1?17]."
Seal of Sultan Muhammad Gotb Shah.
Colophon 539 recto: Tamat al-ketab-i Shahnama Hakim Ferdowsi be tarikh [?] shahr Sha'ban sene [?].
"The book of Shahnama by Hakin Ferdowsi was finished in the month of Sha'ban sene [?].
Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (1839-1914), London, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original List of Persian Miniatures and Manuscripts, pg. 95, and Miscellaneous section of Inventory, S.I. 1591, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Former owner
- Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (C.L. Freer source) (1839 - 1914)
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- colophon, finispiece, frontispiece, illumination, Iran, nasta'liq script, percussion instrument, sarlawh, Shahnama
- Collection(s) Area
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum