Asia After Dark: Bollywood and Beyond
Hosted by the Silk Road Society
With beats by DJ Rekha
Saturday, June 7, 8 pm–12 am
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
Dance your way through the spectacle of the first Asia After Dark of 2014, featuring the sights and sounds of classic Bollywood, ancient India, and modern Indian American culture. At this event held in conjunction with the exhibitions Perspectives: Rina Banerjee at the Sackler and Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation at the National Museum of Natural History, discover a myriad of Indian narratives while following the Asia After Dark mantra: "Art, Drink, and Be Happy."
- Beats by world-renowned Basement Bhangra pioneer DJ Rekha
- Expand your mind with insider’s tours of Sculpture of South Asia and the Himalayas and a massive contemporary installation by Indian American artist Rina Banerjee in its final weekend on view
- Make your own crowns, based on those worn both by Indian gods and the current Miss America Nina Davuluri
- Take group photos or selfies with props inspired by Beyond Bollywood courtesy Booth-o-Rama
- Get your groove on during Bharata Natyam and Bollywood dance classes by Sumona Dance
- Enjoy live dance performances and Bollywood mashups by the SAPAN Institute
- Sip specialty cocktails by the mixologists at Ping Pong Dim Sum
- Indulge in delicious bites from food trucks SUNdeVICH, Chatpat Truck and Goodies Frozen Custard & Treats
Want to experience it all for free? Join the Silk Road Society, our dynamic membership group for young professionals. You'll be invited to tours, cocktail receptions, and behind-the-scenes events.
Presented in conjunction with the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center.
Must be 21 years old with valid photo ID to attend.